4.08.2010

berre smoothie


1/4 c. flax seed meal
1 c. frozen berries
3 c. fresh baby spinach
1 c. orange juice
1 c. water
1 banana
1 T. local honey

Put ingredients in blender in order listed and blend well. Pour into 2 or 3 glasses and enjoy.

i make a smoothie most every morning and have for nearly 4 years now. i am not a big meat eater or even a salad lover, so i love it knowing i am drinking all of that iron-rich super-healthly spinach.

the flax seed is full of the good kind of fat, omega-3s, and i keep it handy in a pretty canister on my counter. i keep a big ziploc bag in my freezer and when strawberries get soft or river doesnt finish an apple that i have sliced for him, i toss them in the bag. or when blueberries are on sale, i buy double and use them for my smoothie. local honey is expensive but worth it cause it helps with allergies.

kale is another GREAT FOR YOU leafy green that i started adding just this week. over the years i have also blended celery, cucumber, carrots into the smoothies. the taste is still just as delicious.

i have friends who drink this in the mornings, but make sure and put a lid on it cause they are embarrassed of the brownish greenish color. make it. your body needs at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables EVERY DAY. i PROMISE it is delicious and i PROMISE your kids will like it. my friend KK has another great recipe for a smoothie with some great ideas on how to get your kids to drink it.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I have been making this for myself about once or twice a week for a couple of months now and I LOVE IT! Carlye shared your recipe with me Sarah Jane was born and I have just started doing it! I LOVE the way I feel after I drink it! I for sure need to add the honey - I bet that makes it even tastier!

Unknown said...

i want to make it so badly, and even have a stockpile of frozen fruit. the problem is that i lost the top to my blender at club and can't find a replacement. sad and lame.

The Buster Bunch said...

Thanks Bets! I'm excited to make this for Brenley and I in the morning!

Unknown said...

Breakfast every work day for 1 1/2 years and counting. I didn't drink it over Spring Break and caught a cold for the first time in a long time!
I prepare it the night before and add water and OJ just before blending so I don't have to use my brain at 5:30am.
SUPER FOODS!!!! ENJOY!

Unknown said...

Georgia and Sarah Jane LOVE these smoothies!! I swear they clean out my veins.